Quickie Divorce ?

It seems that when celebrity divorces are mentioned in the media, such as the Louise and Jamie Rednapp case that’s all over the internet at the moment, they always refer to a “ quickie divorce ” which suggest that they take little time to grant and then the marriage is over.

When it becomes clear that the relationship is badly broken, divorce is often the first thing in everyone’s mind. It’s a way of channelling the anger and resentment into something legal and permanent. Getting divorced will undo the marriage and resolve everything soon, won’t it?

Well, no.

We read about these celebs getting into casual showbiz marriages then getting a quickie divorce. In this country there’s no such thing. This is the real world where divorce is not the only – or necessarily the best – way forward.

The only legal reason for a divorce is that the marriage has ‘irretrievably broken down’ but sometimes it can take years to prove because the Court has to be satisfied that one of these five things has happened:

  1. Adultery
  2. Unreasonable behaviour
  3. One of the couple deserted the other at least 2 years previously
  4. The couple has lived apart for at least 2 years and both agree to get divorced
  5. It’s 5 years or more since the split-up

Not necessarily quick!

Often clients will come in asking for a “ quickie divorce ” or what fact should they issue a divorce petition on to get the divorce through as quickly as possible. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a quickie divorce.

Every case, whether you are a celebrity or not, has to follow the same set court procedure. Our experience shows this can take about 4 – 6 months unless there are delays such as difficulty resolving financial matters.

The Decree Nisi, which is the stage Louise and Jamie have just been granted, is just over halfway through the proceedings and takes a matter of minutes to be granted by the Court, however it does not mean that you are officially divorced. You still have to wait for a period of 6 weeks and 1 day before you (the Petitioner) can apply for the Decree Absolute, which is what actually dissolves the marriage.

If you want any help and advice on divorce we offer an free initial consultation, just call one of our offices that is most convenient to you and ask to speak to a member of the Family Team.

Read our next news story:

Separation – how to get through the holidays