How to get the best from your family lawyer
The legal system maybe complex but working with your lawyer shouldn’t be. Once you’ve decided you need the services of a specialist family lawyer how do you get the best from them?
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- Ask for clarification if you don’t understand what your lawyer is telling you
- Listen to advice – you may not like what you’re being told but their aim is to help you get the best result from your situation
- Keep your lawyer updated – a change in circumstances could have a big impact on your case
- Don’t be frightened to chase your lawyer for updates on your case.
Information is power
- Be truthful – don’t hold information or documents back as your lawyer can’t advise you properly without fully understanding your situation
- Be organised – provide information or documents requested in an organised way otherwise this can delay your case and incur unnecessary costs
Be realistic about the outcome of your case. Pursuing an unlikely result may result in court proceedings, delays and additional costs.
You shouldn’t underestimate the time it takes to resolve family matters. This is an emotional period for everyone involved and making decisions that will affect you and your family may take longer than you expect.
The key thing to remember is that your lawyers’ aim is to reach the best possible solution for you and your family.
If you need advice about family law contact our family team on 01625 531676.